The Christmas season is upon us. Please imagine with me we’ve been called upon to teach a class, preach a sermon, or deliver a devotion regarding the birth of Jesus. We know the subject of the message, but that’s all we’ve got. We don’t have the passage, the outline, or even the handout. We need help!
You’ll be glad to know your Logos Bible Software will indeed provide that much needed assistance. Below I’ll outline the major, yet simple, steps to go from concept to outline to handout for the message.
- Choose Guides | Sermon Starter Guide
- Type Jesus in the Preaching theme box (A)
- Select Jesus: Birth from the drop down list (B)
- Navigate to the Thematic Outlines section which contains outlines taken from the resource Dictionary of Bible Themes (C)
- Select Sermon from the Copy to drop down list (D)
- Explore the outlines and decide which one will form the basis of your message such as Birth of Jesus Christ
- Rest the cursor on the title of the outline (E)
- Click Copy to the far right of the title (F)
- Notice this outline is automatically placed in a Sermon document complete with a Handout and Slides for the message (G)
- Edit and export the Sermon document as you desire
Here’s a summary of what just happened:
- The developers of the software have identified approximately 230 popular preaching themes including Jesus: Birth.
- The Sermon Starter Guide builds reports for all of these themes.
- The Guide section Thematic Outlines searches Dictionary of Bible Themes for outlines related to the preaching theme under study.
- The Copy to feature easily exports the desired outline to a document in the Sermon Editor.
- The Sermon Editor allows you to customize the outline, add text, create a handout, prepare slides, etc. and then print and/or export the finished product as you desire.
Hopefully you’re seeing that your software is here to assist in the whole message building process from start to finish!
For more in-depth explanation of the Sermon Editor and many more Logos 7 features please check out the 3-volume set of Logos Bible Software Training Manuals comprised of 100 chapters and over 800 pages!