At a recent Camp Logos an attendee asked me this question during a break:
I’m doing a study of the “one another’s” in Paul’s letters. How can I easily find all the verses with this phrase along with the admonitions preceding them like, love, encourage, and so on?
Even though there are several ways to accomplish the goal, I tried to keep it simple, so here’s what I told him:
- Open the Search panel by click the magnifying glass icon in the upper left of the program (A)
- Select Bible as the search type (B)
- Select Pauline Epistles from the verse range drop down list (C)
- Select the Bible(s) to search from the drop down list (D)
- Place within double quotes the phrase one another in the Find box: “one another” (E)
- Press the Enter key to generate the search results (F)
- Select Analysis as the view with which to display the results(G)
- Notice Logos creates a spreadsheet with the results (H)
- Right click on any column header (I)
- Select at least Reference and Previous Context from the menu (J)
- Click the column header Reference to display the results in canonical order (K)
- Drag the column header Previous Context to the blank area at the top of the spreadsheet (Mac user: hold down the Option key as you drag the header) (L)
- Notice Logos groups the results according to the Previous Context appearing before the phrase one another (M)
- Right click on an arrow to the left of any search result (N)
- Select Collapse all (O)
You can now easily see all the admonitions appearing before the phrase one another such as: (P)
- Be kind to
Have fun with this Analysis view. You can arrange the results most any way you like to easily dig deep into the Word!
For more information about Logos Features check out the Training Manual Bundle.