This is the second part of a short blog series addressing this scenario presented to me by a fellow Logos user:
The Seminary Guide released from Faithlife for 2020 has an article in it from Mark Ward in which he says Greek students should learn vocabulary words appearing more than 100 times in the New Testament (173 such words). Can I make this work in a Word List? If so, can the Hebrew be done the same way?
I previously mentioned that two tools are needed to answer the user’s question: Concordance and Word List.
In Part 1, I showed how to use the Concordance tool to find all of the lemmas occurring 100 or more times in the Bible. Now in this blog we’ll take the Concordance list and import it into a Word List.
If you haven’t read or if you need a refresher on Part 1, please read it now before implementing the following steps:
- Open the Concordance list showing lemmas appearing 100 or more times in either the Old or New Testament (A)
- Choose the panel menu on the Concordance (B)
- Select Print/Export (C)
- Click in the Export section Send to a new document: Microsoft Excel (or whatever spreadsheet program you have) (D)
- Notice a spreadsheet opens with two columns: Lemma and Count (E)
- Focus on the lemma column which we want to copy to the clipboard with any copy method you prefer, such as the one described in the next few steps
- Click the first cell with a Greek word (F)
- Scroll to the bottom of the lemma column
- Hold down the Shift key
- Click the last cell with a Greek word (G)
- Notice all of the Greek words are selected (H)
- Ctrl + C on a PC
- Cmd + C on a Mac
- Return to Logos
- Choose Docs | New | Word List (I)
- Click Add on the Word List toolbar (J)
- Select Add words from… clipboard (K)
- Notice Logos adds all of the lemmas occurring 100 or more times to the Word List! (L) (Please note the count for each word will be 1 because it only appeared in the Concordance list 1 time)
This Word List can now be named, saved, and reopened from the Docs menu, then reviewed and even transformed into Vocabulary Cards!!
Of course, you could use the same process for Hebrew lemmas.
Please remember the Concordance tool does NOT appear in the free Basic or Starter base packages.
For more detailed instruction about Logos 8 features please check out 24/7 video training at mpseminars.com.
And don’t forget to follow Faithlife.com/mpseminars and you’ll automatically receive a FREE digital download of Dr. Grant Osborne’s commentary Ephesians Verse by Verse.