A fellow Logos user recently emailed me an excellent question:
As I was reading a chapter in Walter Kaiser’s “Classical Evangelical Essays in Old Testament Interpretation”, one of the author’s (William Henry Green) made the comment that his essay was a further development on an earlier essay. If someone has a number of the theological journal collections in their library, how does that person search the journal collections for other articles written by an author or articles written on the same topic?
The answer lies in a feature called Field Searching. The steps below show how to search for journal articles by the same author.
Before the search, however, let’s create a Collection of journals:
- Choose Tools | Collections
- Names the Collection anything you like such as Journals (A)
- Type this text in the Rule box: type:journal (B)
- Close the Collections panel
The above Rule places all resources with the word journal in the Library Filter Field, Type.
- With the Collection now made, let’s search for articles written by the same author in that Collection:
- Click the Search icon in the upper left of the program
- Select Basic as the search type (C)
- Select, from the resources to search drop down list, the Collection of Journals (D)
- Click the first drop down list which contains a list of Search Fields in the Collection (E)
- Expand the Search Fields list (F)
- Select the Author box (G)
- Click outside the list to close it
- Type the name of an author like Carson or “D A Carson” in the Find box (H)
- Press the Enter key to generate the search
This specific search is only searching the author field in journals for the name of your author! Hence you’re looking at journal articles written by your author. (I)
To search for articles generally focused on a topic, select Heading Text from the Search Fields drop down list (J) and type a subject in the Find box like hope. (K)
For more detailed information about Searching, please check out the Logos 7 Bible Software Training Manual Bundle available in both print and digital formats.
Also, for an exciting and quick way to learn the software, attend an upcoming Camp Logos in Baltimore/Columbia, MD May 2 – May 4 or Camp Logos Colorado Springs, CO May 22 -24!