A character study is a very rewarding type of Bible study. A character study is finding all mentions of a person in the Bible and then examining the characteristics of his or her life. The challenge to this method of research is locating all biblical references to a person! That challenge just got easier with Logos 6.
Let’s imagine we want to investigate Barnabas throughout the New Testament. Our research begins with listing of all mentions of the man. So try this:
- Open a Bible like the ESV
- Navigate to a passage of Scripture which mentions the man Barnabas just as Acts 4:36 (A)
- Right click on a word referring to Barnabas such as Joseph, his real name (B)
- Select from the content menu Barnabas Person (C)
- Select a search option such as Search this resource (inline) (D)
- Notice only the verses referencing Barnabas now appear in the resource panel (E)
As you move through the Inline Search hits you’ll see that Barnabas is not only referred to by name, but also as good man, apostle, companion, and more.
We have just combined the Referent dataset with a right mouse Inline Search to quickly locate all the times a person is mentioned in the Bible! A thorough examination of these verses will now yield some encouraging insights about this man of God in the early church!
For more detailed information about working with Inline Searching as well as all of the new Logos 6 features please check out these new Logos 6 training products:
- What’s New in Logos 6 Training Manual (Print)
- What’s New in Logos 6 Training Manual (Digital)
- What’s New in Logos 6 Video Training
Also, for live, hands-on training, please attend an upcoming Camp Logos: