My mentor years ago told me that outside of the Bible, one of the most important books to have in my library is a good hymnal (or 2 or 3 or more!). In light of that I was thrilled to recently receive the following question from a fellow Logos user:
Very often hymns are based on Scripture and very often that passage is referenced in the hymnal. Is there any way to search a hymnal or hymnals for a reference to a specific scripture passage? For example, I’d like to know if any of the hymnals or song books in my Logos library make a reference to Romans 8:28.
This is a great question and the answer is a very easy and resounding yes! In fact, Logos does the heavy lifting for us in the Passage Guide.
Take a look at this:
- Choose Guides | Passage Guide
- Place a passage like John 3:16 in the Reference box (A)
- Press the Enter key to generate the report
- Navigate to the Music section which automatically searches the Logos Hymnal Media Resource for hymns related to the passage under study (B)
- Click the title of the hymn (C) to open the resource right to the hymn where you can play the MIDI file (D) and see the lyrics (E)
In next week’s blog I’ll show you how to search the Hymnal to locate hymns by title, lyrics, or even author!
Also be sure to follow the brand new MP Seminars Faithlife group and receive a FREE download of the commentary Ephesians: Verse by Verse by Dr. Grant Osborne.