At Camp Logos I often tell students that the challenge with Logos is not too little information, but too much information. For example, managing the results coming at us when we search all of our resources at once can be a steep hill to climb. One secret to effective searching is creating multiple Collections (user created groupings of books used primarily for searching) and then only searching one Collection at a time.
At Camp I’ll encourage you to create two major types of Collections:
- Subject Matter Collections like History Books or Theology Books
- Author Collections like Tozer Books or Piper Books
By proactively creating these Collections and then searching only one at a time, you’ll receive information in manageable portions.
Let’s imagine, however, we forgot to create an “official” Collection, but we find ourselves in the midst of study only wanting to examine ethics books or resources written by Alfred Edersheim. In times like these with Logos 6 we can utilize Quick Collections.
For example let’s imagine we’re studying sanctification in 1 Corinthians 1:30.
- Open a Bible like the ESV to 1 Corinthians 1:30 (A)
- Right click on the word sanctification (B)
- Select from the Context menu the English word sanctification (C)
- Select Search all resources (D)
Notice the Search panel opens with thousands of hits which overwhelm us. (E)
We then decide we just want to search ethics books, but we haven’t previously created that Collection. So try this:
- Click the resources to search drop down list which currently says All Resources (F)
- Type this simple Collection rule in the Find box: subject:ethics (G)
- Select the line indicating the number of resources matching the rule (H)
- Notice that Logos automatically searches just those resources which produces much few hits (I)
- Click the resources to search drop down list again (J)
- Type this Collection rule in the Find box: author:edersheim (K)
- Select the line indicating the number of resources matching the rule (L)
- Notice again Logos automatically searches just those resources (M)
All of the Rules we employ to create official Collections on the Tools menu, work here in the Find box to create Quick Collections!
These Quick Collections are temporary and are no substitute for official Collections, but they can be very helpful to streamline searching on the fly.
For more detailed information about working with all of the new Logos 6 features please check out the NEW Logos 6 training manuals.
Also, for live, hands-on training please attend an upcoming Camp Logos: